Azerbaijan’s First Telecommunications Satellite

 

One of the most important developments in the history of modern Azerbaijan occurred on February 8, 2013. The first telecommunications satellite of the Republic of Azerbaijan, “Azerspace-1”, which will operate at least 15 years, was successfully launched into orbit from the Guiana Space Center in Kourou, South America. 20 percent of the satellite’s resources will be used to meet the needs of Azerbaijan, while the remaining 80 percent will be exported to the world market. Conditional contracts for the sale of 40 percent of the satellite’s resources have already been signed. As a result of this project, millions of people in the geographical area covering almost a third of the planet will be able to comfortably use modern information and communication services. The first satellite will play an important economic role on an area covering more than 50 countries around the world. Thus, the “Azerspace-1” satellite will provide quality broadcasts on the territory of Azerbaijan in the near future, including the provision of high-speed IP-based services. On the whole, better control will be exercised over the entire information being transmitted and an enabling platform created for such important programs as various e-government projects, distance learning and e-health. In case of any damage to the terrestrial fiber-optic network, it will be possible to eliminate communication problems by means of effective and operational solutions. In addition, in order to ensure the security of communication, a modern communications and secure encryption systems will be applied. The project has already proved to be success so that a second satellite is now planned to be launched in 2016, and there is an idea to introduce the third one further in the future.