Azerbaijan is the country that has old traditions in numerous sports. Our athletes are consecutively awarded with medals in Olympic Games, different countries', European and Asian championships. National Olympic Committee, 27 Olympic and 49 non-Olympic sports federations operate in Azerbaijan. Moreover, government strongly supports development and promotion of sport in the country.
Sport perfectly combines both public and private investments.
- 36 modern Olympic Games facilities have been built in Azerbaijan in recent years,.
- 9,954 sporting installations and complexes operate throughout the country.
- Shahdag Winter-Summer Tourism Complex in Gusar was put into use in December 2012. The complex includes trade centers, restaurant, café, game hall, equestrian sport, skiing and other services. The project was launched in 2006. The Shahdagh Complex Directorate was established to run the project. Construction of the complex began in September 2009. The complex is located 32 km from the regional centre - Gusar. Its total area is 2,058 hectares. The construction area is situated in Shahdagh National Park. The complex is at 1,300-2,351 m and its main part at 1,640 m above sea level. Unlike from existing systems of this type in the world, it will operate throughout the year.
- Establishment of necessary infrastructure created opportunities for holding various national and international sport events. World and European boxing, wrestling, rhythmic gymnastics, fencing and other sports Championships are held in the country.
- In 2012, FIFA U-17 Women's World Cup was held in Azerbaijan as well.
- Azerbaijan is continuosly nominated for hosting significant world famous championships such as European Football Championship.
- Baku will host the first European Games in 2015, FIDE World Cup 2015, World Chess Olympiad 2016 and Islamic Solidarity Games 2017.
In light of this, sport and adventure tourism is one of the priority directions of overall tourism development. All necessary conditions, including governmental support have been provided for this.