Pursuant to the current Law "On the Protection of Foreign Investment", foreign investment may take any of the following forms:
* Participation in enterprises and organizations established with legal entities and citizens of the Republic of Azerbaijan on a shared basis;
* Establishment of wholly-owned enterprises by foreign investors;
* Purchase of enterprises, property, buildings, structures, shares in enterprises, other shares, bonds, securities, and certain other property, which may be owned by foreign investors under the laws of the Republic of Azerbaijan;
* Acquisition of rights to use land and other natural resources, and also other property rights; and
* Conclusion of agreements with legal entities and citizens of the Republic of Azerbaijan providing for other forms of foreign investment.
Enterprises with foreign investment include joint ventures, enterprises wholly-owned by foreign investors, and representations (offices and branches) of foreign legal entities.